Hey, I was tagged by the really lovely Marcia from Beauty Info Zone! It’s my first tagging, y’all! And I’m afraid I got a little long-winded. But that’s ok! Here we go!
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves on their blog.
2. Answer the questions the tagger has set for you plus add eleven questions for the people you have tagged to answer
3. Choose eleven people and link them in your tag
4. Go to their page and tell them
5. No tag backs
6. You legitimately have to tag
Here are the 11 things about me, Daena:
1. I’m a gamer. I love video games and board games. I’m a big fan of MMORPGs and I’ve played World of Warcraft for years, though I’ve also played Rift (amazing game) and Star Wars: The Old Republic (great questing but a lackluster game for me). I get delirious when I think of the upcoming Guild Wars 2, which I will be pre-ordering ASAP. I love BioWare games, especially the Dragon Age series (Alastair — *swoon*). I’m also a board games fan — and I don’t mean Monopoly! My favorites include: Alien Frontier, Ascension, Reef Encounter, Dominion, Hive, Thurn & Taxis, Dixit, Carcasonne and a host of others. I really love strategy games, area-control games and “Ameri-trash” games. I generally dislike party games and traditional card games though.
2. I have 5 tattoos! I got my first tattoo when I was 31 — yeah it took me THAT long to decide on a design I could live with forever. My first one was one that combined a memorial tattoo for my father and my love of gaming. Weirdly (or not, if you know me) most of my tattoos have something to do with death or departed loved ones. I’m morbid/ awesome like that.
3. I’m a crazy cat person!! I actually used to hate cats but it’s a LONG story about how that turned to cat-craziness. We currently have 3 cats, all boys — Grim who is 15 years old and is a 3-legged cancer survivor and Yoshi and Binky — littermates who are 5 years old.
4 Halloween is my favorite holiday and like my favorite thing ever. I keep my Halloween stuff up ALL YEAR LONG. It just makes me happy to have it all out — all the pumpkins and skeletons and happy little ghouls. I love it! I actually got married on Halloween of 2010 — yes, in costume! Everyone wore costumes and it was great fun. I’d eventually like to get a sleeve of vintage Halloween art.
5. I’ve been dying my hair crazy colors for over 20 years! I plan on doing a big post about that this week. Amazingly, I’ve never fried my hair or had any bad hair accidents. The only time I’ve been unhappy with my haircolor is when I’ve had it professionally done! if I could do my own haircuts, I would! I am DIY hard core when it comes to beauty.
6. Even though I am a magpie when it comes to makeup (oooh, shiny, must have it!) my everyday look is very simple: a light on the makeup face, soft cheek color, catseye eyeliner, mascara, soft lips. I’ve got it down to a science and it takes me 5-7 minutes to do that makeup. I LOVE doing more elaborate/colorful makeup but when I’m pressed for time, I fall back on that simple look.
7. I’m a starving artist and sculptor. I work in watercolors for my paintings and my sculptures are wearable art that I sell in New Orleans, Louisiana. My masks are made from a messy-but-fun process out of neoprene casting rubber and then painted in acrylics. I don’t sell my paintings because even the thought of it makes me uncomfortable. But I gladly sell my masks/sculptural art. Here are some examples of my artwork:
8. I have dyscalculia and mild dyslexia. Dyscalculia, to simplify it, is “dyslexia for math/numbers.” It makes even simple math extremely hard if not impossible for me. I have very little retention for numbers — remembering a phone number is very hard as well as remembering dates/times. I grew up just thinking I was stupid because I had so many problems with math. My teachers were unsupportive, blamed me for not trying hard enough or implied that I was dumb. This didn’t change until college when it was suggested to me that I had dyscalculia. Suddenly a lot of my issues in school made sense and I realized I wasn’t just stupid, but just had a learning disability. While my dyscalculia is fairly severe, my dyslexia is mild and mostly shows up in some reading comprehension problems as well as my writing. Thank the computer gods for spell-check, ok? lol
9. I’m very introverted. I’m one of those people who really needs alone-time to be happy. While I am not shy and don’t have any sort of social anxiety, socializing really exhausts me. I prefer small groups of good friends. I think that is one reason why I love the internet — I can be as social as I choose to and have a lot of structure and limits on my energy. It’s also why I prefer email to phone calls!
10. I am *extremely* casual clothes-wise. I haste dressing up for any reason. If I can’t wear jeans, I don’t want to go. My version of dressing up consists of wearing a button-down shirt instead of a t-shirt-with-a-cat-on-it. With jeans! And probably neon pink sneakers. That’s dressy, right? Pink sneakers are totally dressy.
11. I’m long-winded, but you’ve realized that by now, ha!
Here are the questions I was asked by Marcia:
1) What is your favorite green eyeshadow? OMGWTF by Fyrinnae. I love it — it’s the perfect bright chartreuse color! It has a hint of shimmer but it’s too shiny/glittery. It has enough yellow in it that it makes my blue eyes brighter.
2) What countries have you traveled to? Just the USA, sadly. There are SO many countries I could like to visit, though. One day…
3) Have you ever been on a cruise? OMG no. Actually that would be one of my worst nightmares as I’m terrified of large bodies of water and drowning!
4) Are you a good sleeper? Far from it! I’ve had pretty bad insomnia for years. For me it also seems hormone-related as I just don’t sleep much the 2 weeks before Shark Week. That said, since I started eating a paleo/primal diet, my sleeping habits have improved and my insomnia isn’t quite as bad.
5) What are your 3 desert island items NOT counting lip balm and sunscreen? (My desert island provides those!) My Kindle, filled with books, my mp3player filled with songs and a HAZ-MAT suit which I will wear at all times so the dreaded SAND won’t touch me. I hate sand. UGH SAND!
6) How long have you been blogging? I’ve had this blog for only a few short months but I’ve blogged privately for years and have used blogging as a way to keep in touch with friends as well as make new ones!
7) Where’s your favorite place to shop? IRL: drugstores! They always have neat stuff and if you look hard you can find all sorts of beauty-related treasures! Online: amazon.com because they have everything!
8) What hobbies or obsessions do you have? I suppose reading is my main hobby as well as gaming. Obsessions include but are not limited to: ZOMBIES in all forms (books, comics, movies, TV etc etc), Discworld (created by my favorite author Terry Pratchett, Halloween (as explained above!), the Lord of the Rings movies and various British TV shows (Peep Show, IT Crowd, The Office, Downton Abbey etc!)
9) How would you wear your hair if you could? An Annie Lennox buzz cut! If I had the face for it, that would be my haircut!!!
10) What lipstick brand would you chose over all others? Revlon, for a lot of reasons. Price, variety and formulas that work well for me!
11) You can’t live without what? Books! Music! Cats!
Here are my questions for my Taggies:
1. You get to invent your signature nail polish — what’s it look like?
2. What’s the first makeup item you can remember buying/using?
3. Who are your beauty inspirations/idols?
4. What is your favorite scent (not neccesarily perfume!)?
5. What is your ideal vacation?
6. How long does it take you to get up and ready and out the door in the morning?
7. What are your favorite items to swatch or blog about?
8. What was your dream job when you were a kid and what is your dream job now?
9. What is your favorite season for makeup collections/looks?
10. What is your least favorite household chore?
11. Why do you love blogging/vlogging?
BONUS GEEK QUESTION: Are you EXTREMELY EXCITED about “Game of Thrones” season two? Which House are you? (Seriously, HOUSE STARK for the win!)
Here’s who I’m tagging! Since I’m new to beauty blogging, I’m tagging some people I know and more that I don’t know but whose blogs I LOVE and read avidly! I hope you don’t mind and want to play along!
That’s only 9 but if you’re reading, please feel free to play along in comments!